E.J. Cunningham Ltd. was incorporated in 1967, but its founder Earl Cunningham had been working in general contracting in various capacities since 1952. Early business opportunities began with cutting and delivering hardwood to local mills with single axle trucks. A TD15 dozer was added and thus began land excavation and road building. Earl purchased gravel products from local pits, added a pay loader and second dozer. Local employees were hired and the business operated out of the back yard at the family home in Sussex Corner.
The business continued to thrive and in the early 70’s he purchased land on Route 114 in Penobsquis, building a new shop and office. His son Ralph took over the reins in 1990 and now third generation grandsons Jonathan and Patrick are involved in the business with their father.
Through the years the company has been involved in many projects in the Sussex area, including G.E.Barbour, Sussex Mall, Sussex Health Centre, Kiwanis Nursing Home, Sussex Elementary School, PotashCorp Civic Centre as well as site work at the original potash mine and the Picadilly mine expansion.
E.J. Cunningham Ltd. continues to be involved in residential site work and municipal projects and provides employment to approximately 30 employees primarily from the Sussex area.